Friday, February 11, 2011

Career Goals & My Performance Evaluation






It's time for our annual performance evaluations and I finished evaluating myself today. It's interesting doing this in light of my B-school applications. Going through the process of evaluating myself and setting clear cut goals for the next year was much different this time around. The goals I set for next year are much more clear, concrete and specific and I can't help but wonder if that's attributable in any way to the B-school application process.

Firstly, one of my goals for next year is to be promoted from associate -- something that I've been told is improbably if not altogether impossible. In the past, I've been far more calculating and decided to play nice and go about getting a promotion the traditional way. With my sights on B-school, I'm kind of throwing caution to the wind and going for the gusto. I do wonder how my manager is going to react to this goal. She might try to get me to change it before I submit it to HR, but I'm going to hold firm.

I've identified specific areas that I want to develop: my communication and negotiation skills. I'm very good at public speaking but I notice at meetings that when I speak extemperaneously it's difficult for me to articulate my ideas in such a way that gets me buy-in from the others in the meeting. I've also never had to negotiate a deal before and this is a skill I need to hone if I'm going to be an effective leader.

In addition to setting clear quantifiable goals and identifying areas where I need to improve, I also came up with some projects and initiatives that will assist me in getting to that end and will (if all goes according to plan) positively impact my company.

No comments:

Post a Comment