Thursday, July 29, 2010

New Job Prospect?

On a whim I applied for a new position in my company and I've got an interview for it tomorrow. If I do get the position, I might consider delaying my MBA application a year as it would definitely improve my candidacy and would allow me to pay down some of my car loan debt before doing a FT program. I also wouldn't have to worry too much about recommendations because I can have my current boss, my old boss, and the VP write one for me. The VP knows me very well and I love his writing style, but there's no way I can ask him to write me one if I'm still working in his department. I think my current boss will be a bit more understanding, but I'm sure there'd be some initial tension. She once told me she thought I had the potential to be the next President of our division, so while she'd write a good recommendation that would highlight my leadership potential, I think she'd feel a bit betrayed that I'm planning my escape from the industry a year in advance right under her nose.

More Quant study tonight. I've made to do lists for Tomorrow and Saturday. Thankfully I'm off early on Fridays, so I have some time to go to the gym, get some studying in, and do some preparation before my interview. My boyfriend has family friends in town and they're taking us out to dinner tomorrow night. After that I'm sure I'll be perched on my couch with a bottle of wine watching re-runs of the Wire. I need to snag at least two hours tomorrow for study time, so I'm setting my alarm for six o'clock. Yes, six o'clock.

Tonight I also realized that studying for the GMAT is also very much about learning about your really stupid mistakes so that you don't make them again. Tonight I screwed up on an insanely easy problem because I solved the equation, but did not look up to see that they had some constraints on the terms (A had to be greater than B which had to be greater than C). Mistakes like that hurt the most because if you had just slowed down and thought about it for 10 seconds, you would have gotten that question right. ARRGGH. The lining in that cloud is that I know now to be careful of those constraints, and in the next two months of preparation, I'm sure that checking for them is going to become intuitive.

In good news, I'm getting all of the easy questions right (with the exception of the aforementioned). I'm not where I want to be yet, but my foundation in number properties is solid. Now I can build on it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment