Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Grandma's Enchiladas








This week I had a craving for my grandmother's enchiladas. These are far from authentic, but they are so tasty. I probably will never be as good a cook as my grandmother is, but I did the enchilada's justice last night. The pictures were taken an my boyfriend's iPhone so please excuse the quality.

The enchiladas were a pretty easy meal. Here's what I used:

Flour tortillas (it's customary to use corn tortillas for enchiladas, but I love red enchiladas with flour tortillas)
La Victoria Enchilada Sauce (red)
Sharp cheddar cheese
1 Garlic clove
1/2 Onion
Lean Ground turkey

I found pre-seasoned "Taco" ground turkey in the super market on sale, so I bought that. Typically you'll need to season your ground turkey with chili powder, seasoning salt and other things.

What you do:

Sautee chopped garlic and onion in extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Add the ground turkey in chunks and brown. Grate your cheese (however much or little you want) and set it to the side. Next open the La Victoria Enchilada Sauce and pour a little on to a plate. Lightly coat each side of a tortilla in the sauce. Place a spoonful or two of the browned meat into the center of the tortilla. Top the meat with cheese and then roll the tortilla tightly. Place the rolled tortilla in a glass baking dish. Repeat until the meat is gone. When done, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled tortillas and top that with cheese. Bake in the oven on 350 for 30 minutes.

To round out the meal, I decided to go the easy route and make boxed Mexican Rice (from Rice-A-Roni) and canned re-fried beans. For vegetables, I sauteed collard greens, garlic, and salsa in extra virgin olive oil.



When you're ready to eat, just top the enchiladas with a small amount of sour cream and you're good to do. My grandmother always tells me that no one will want to eat your food if they don't like how it looks, so my presentation still leaves much to be desired. My boyfriend, however, can attest to how good they turned out. He licked the pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment