Saturday, January 1, 2011

Back to Life. Back to Reality.


My holiday season was joyous. I took a week off from work, had a tree trimming party, went home to Los Angeles, and roasted my first turkey by myself. I also finished my statistics course and earned an A.

However, all good things come to an end, and it's back to work on Monday. The first two weeks of January is always a busy time for me at work, and I'm going to enroll in a Calculus course that starts on January 13th. 2011 is going to be busy so I'm happy that I was able to get some R&R before the storm. I do, however, have my birthday to look forward to this month.

Now comes the time where most MBA aspirants start weighing the pros and cons of applying round 3 in March in hopes of matriculating in the fall and the pros and cons of waiting till Round 1 in October and matriculating in fall of 2012.

I like to think of myself as a person who has a good balance between logic & reason and emotion & impulse so I'm really torn right now. Logic and reason is telling me to wait. My heart and impulse is telling me to pull the trigger in March.

Why apply now? I'm really excited about the prospect of going back to school! And I really am ready to move on from my current line of work.

Why wait? I've just been elected as an officer at toastmasters and I just started serving as a mentor in a local program for at risk youth. Both of these will look good on an application, but more importantly, I am obligated to the mentorship program for one year. This obligation will limit the schools I can apply to should I need to matriculate in Fall -- I'd have to stay local. Additionally my plan to bolster my gpa was to take 3-4 quant courses. If I apply in Round 3, I'll only have 2 under my belt. Should I apply in Round 3 and get dinged, I'll have made my boss aware of the fact that I plan on leaving which could jeopardize promotions (not that I'm up for any at the moment). Lastly, but most definitely not least, I really don't feel like writing any essays right now. Whenever I think about that long "What matters to you most and why" Stanford essay I wind up turning on re-runs of the Golden Girls to avoid having to write it.




So for today, logic and reason prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment